Friday, March 21, 2014

On the topic of Corn Snakes (Pantherophis g. guttatus) in West Virginia....

A corny friend of mine.

Pantherophis guttatus guttatus
An attractive snake and one of the most common snakes kept in captivity. They're a dime of dozen animal, a normal hatchling can be purchased at a show for $15 or in wholesale lots for $3-4 each. In some parts of their range they are thick on the ground, much like Black Ratsnakes are in the Eastern Panahandle of WV. 
There are a grand total of 3 records for corn snakes in this WV. All of them in Morgan county, and all of them in the same general portion of the county. I've been roaming around the back roads of Morgan county at night for years, flipping stones along power line right of ways, and wading through dump sites, flipping mattresses and old lumber.  And I have yet to find the 4th record.
The corn snake is my white whale...


Don't let your eyes deceive you. This is a corn snake.

I've been publicly shamed for my failings when it comes to finding (or failing to find) this species of snake (Thanks, Dr. Pauley). I think this year might be my year. I' have a particular Nature Conservancy Park in mind that should be the jumping off point for my efforts. 

If anyone out there is reading this and has seen corn snakes in WV please email or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment